The name Orechová Potôň (Diósförgepatony) was given to the place in 1808 after the then Orechová Potôň (Dióspatony) and Förge Potôň (Förgepatony) merged. In 1940, the Dolná Potôň estate was joined to the village. Orechová Potôň - Lúky (Dióspatonyrét) forms a separate part of the village near the Little Danube.

In the Middle Ages, the fate of individual parts of the village differed: Orechová Potôň (Dióspatony) was referred to as Gyospothon in 1367. In 1553, the village was a royal property with 10 lands.

In 1764, the village belonged to Michal Csiba, and in the middle of the 19th century to the lords of Lehnice and the Pálffy family.

The first written record of Förgeho Potôň (Förgepatony) goes back to 1750.

Dolná Potôň (Bögölypatony) was first mentioned in 1253 under the name Bechul. In his decree of 1524, king Louis II. refers to the village under the name Beogol-Paton. In 1553, the estate became a royal property under the name Békel-Paton.

In the next period, the Pálffys became owners of huge estates in the village, as the Hungarian king gave them to the Pálffy family as a sign of gratitude for Mikuláš Pálffy's victory over the Turks near the city of Győr.

Dolná Potôň forms the lower-lying territory of Žitný ostrov (Žitný island), which is called the Potône meadows. Before the drainage of this territory (in the 19th century), there were extensive water bodies, marshes and meadows. In view of the water-economically fragmented territory, several solitudes were created in this area, including Ágerdőpuszta, Füzérfamajor, Vilmos-major, Ásási-puszta, Baranáspuszta, Bögölypatonyi-puszta, Bögölypatonyi-rét, Bögölypatonyi-sziget, Kerekes-bárányos, Lángpuszta, Nagyfövenypuszta, as well as Pálffy estate and Bárányos and the Légrády mills.